Date

Ver Beek Blog

Our young family battling stage IV breast cancer one day at a time
Breast Cancer Ribbon

Another One Wins the Race!

posted by:
Lindy

Our heartfelt sympathies go out to the Ellen VanOss family.

We had the privilege of meeting Ellen and Jack for dinner a while ago.  Ellen and I had/have the same type of breast cancer.  The beast known as Triple Negative.  She was diagnosed seven months before me.  She and Jack have two small kids.  She won’t be forgotten.

In the words of Jack on 7/20/12:

A little before noon today Ellen crossed the finish line. She won the race and is in heaven right now receiving her prize. Well done good and faithful servant! She was a wonderful wife, mother, daughter, sister sister in-law and friend. She has taught us all so much about life, death and grace. She will be greatly missed.
I’ll post the arrangements when they are set. Thank you all for your prayers and encouragement.

My Thoracentesis last week went well.  It wasn’t a fun procedure, but I’ve had worse.  I would say having a halo screwed into my skull is worse than having a needle to numb and catheter put into my back for 15 minutes.  They drained 900 ml from my right pleura.  Afterwards felt a tad sore, but mostly better and able to breathe.  Everyone at Spectrum was great.

I had my labs drawn this week and found out my white blood cell count is too low at 0.9.  This means I should avoid large crowds, touching people, wash or sanitize my hands as much as possible and basically avoid contact with anything or anybody.  Does anyone have a bubble I can live in until my count rises?  My hemoglobin was at 9.4 or 9.6 (can’t remember).  With my red and white cells working against me, I am VERY tired and could sleep all day.  Yesterday I practically did.  I have to pick and choose how I use my energy.  I don’t like living this way.

12.26.11-Max-Sleeping-with-new-blanket

Thank God for Dusty.  He takes the kids to the pool nearly every night.  If he needs to run an errand, they all go along with him.  One night I was putting Max to bed and I said “You have a really great dad”.  He said “Yeah he takes us places with him.  I love him”.  So sweet.

Next week is chemo.  Please pray with me that my WBC and Hemoglobin are at a safe level so I can receive chemo.  That my fluid does not accumulate.  That my pain will lessen.  For my family.  For our support system – we would be lost without them.

Thank God for doctors, family, friends, insurance, jobs, and things that make you smile.

14 Responses to “Another One Wins the Race!”

1. Megan VK says:

I can only imagine what it’s like to live in your shoes for a day and just have so much respect for you. You have handled everything that’s been thrown at you with such grace and strength. I will pray for your energy. I’m so sorry you have to pick and choose how you use it. I will pray that you will be strong enough for chemo and for healing of course. Miracles happen every day!!

2. Marianne Coughenour says:

Is there anything more precious than a sleeping child? 🙂 Of all the ways I have prayed for you, I have neglected to bear in prayer those dear souls who make up your main support system. I pray that they will always have the time/energy/strength they need in order to help you and your family–and that they know God is smiling upon them!

3. Aunt Carole says:

Lindy, you never have too many germs to be in the presence of God! And He will make you stronger so you can enjoy the presence of loved ones!

4. Lil Koning says:

Prayers, love.

5. Anonymous says:

Lindy, and we thank God for you and the blessings you give to others. Praying for you and your family.

6. Jana Ver Beek says:

Keep fighting, Lindy. I love you and your family. If there’s anything you need, I’m here.
    Know that I’m praying without ceasing. You are never more than a thought away. Praying you feel God’s comforting, healing arms around you.

(((HUGS)))

7. Cheryl says:

Will pray for all the things u asked for and that God will provide u with the energy needed and provide others to do tasks u can’t God be with u

8. Jennifer says:

Praying for you Lindy and thinking of you and your family. May God bless.

9. Jim t. says:

Praying for your awesome support group. Your pain to lessen. Your counts to go up. Your strength to increase. Your wonderful husband and children. For endurance to continue to run the race of life, as you continue to touch lives and serve the Lord.
    Just read about Samsons father when an Angel of the lord came to reveal Gods plan of Sampson. He asked the Angel what his name was! The Angel replied ” why do you ask that question it is way beyond your understanding”
    It was a quick reminder this morning of how Big our God is!!

10. Angie Howell says:

Sending love and prayers to all of you.

11. Aunt Sylvia says:

Lindy, I thank God for the blessing you are to us. We don’t know why you and your family have to go through this, but we are praying for you, your family, and all that help in anyway. We will continue to hold all of you up in prayer to the God who holds us all in his hands.

12. Amy Sluiter says:

lots of love and prayers for you!

13. Sandra V. says:

It’s so great to have the support you have, they must be angels! Praying for you and your family.

14. Katherine Baas says:

Lindy, hi! This is Kathy Schippers from HCHS! I have been loosely following you and your journey. So sorry….we lost our 11 year old son to brain cancer this spring, I don’t know it feels to be you but I know it feels to be the mom of a cancer patient. Im sure you hear this ALL the time ( bc we did!) but if there is ever anything I or we can do for you or dusty or the kids let me know…i will even weed your garden or write thank you notes ( I must have written a million….feel like I’m solely supporting the US postal system!) we knew the van OSS family from gilda’s club, great people. Hugs and tears from my home to yours! Kathy